Tuesday, August 01, 2006

faycal d

Hi Reem,

Hope you and your family are Ok. Are you still in Amman? I'm still in Morocco and will be in Paris for the second half of August. Let me know if, by chance, you will be around.

Things are getting worse and worse in Lebanon ... 2 days ago Tsahal bombarded my village (Zefta) in south Lebanon, killing one person and injuring many. Many houses in the village were completely destroyed, and although it was not hit directly, our house (100 years old Lebanese family house) has its bricks and part of the ceiling down. This house, is such a symbol to us and my parents have invested a lot of time & effort to restore it and create and beautiful garden. It was occupied by Tsahal during the 82 invasion (since it is on a hill with a direct view on surrounding villages) and damaged before. My parents are still in Beirut, and being fatalist, as long as it is only material damage (we had lost 2 houses before in the 75-92 war, one in the suburbs, the other in the mountains). With all this, my father is not the type who accepts easily to leave.

There is a lot of bitterness in all this, but personally, although I'm a lot worried, these sad events haved boosted my commitment to my country and to my identity as a Lebanese. We should never let them steel the beauty of Beirut Nights, the Dolce Vita of Lebanon summer and all the chemistry that has been built again since the end of the previous war (which we started to forget until Tsahal destroyed Lebanon again).

Take care & send me your news

Always,
Fayçal